Updated: Oct 18, 2021
Imagine the number of stars in the sky, grains of sand on a beach, gallons of water in the ocean.
The vision is overwhelming to think about, isn’t it?
Each perspective engulfs you into the extreme and makes you think about how massive our world truly is.
The number of stars, grains of sand and gallons of water are comparable to the number of websites in existence around the world… billions.
As of January 1st, 2020, there were 1.74 billion websites on the Internet. That means by now, the first day of 2021, 2 billion websites are active online. You can actually view a live counter of how many types of websites are online at internet live stats website.
The number of active websites around the globe increases per number quicker than a second, so imagine how many websites are launched per minute… almost 400. That is about 6 sites per second, while the number of websites launched per day is upwards to half a million at 547,200.
Finally, imagine what each website has to do in order to stand out from the rest of the sites in existence… a LOT. The competition makes website maintenance and SEO management more important with each passing day.
The pressure that websites in 2020 have on them to make an impression on users is vastly endless, so let’s try to wrap our minds around the 2-billion-ish sites around the globe.
How Many Websites in the World?
The population of the globe is constantly increasing, so the number of websites that are launched per day is going to increase past 547,200, as the years go on.
Even with about 100,000 internet domains getting deleted every day, the world still manages to pump out over 500,000 new websites per day.
That number is more than twice as much as the population in the city of Grand Rapids, which is just over 205,000 people in the year 2020.
547,200 websites per day is roughly 3.8 million websites per week, 15,321,600 websites per month, and over 183,859,200 websites per year! We can conclude that the world has launched almost 1 billion websites in the year 2020.
So… what will the number of websites in existence be in 10 years if we’re going by this algorithm?
Since the world’s population is constantly growing each year, we can conclude that the number of sites launched per day will be larger than we estimate today.
When we add 1.83 billion to the already existing 1.74 billion sites in the world today, we’re left with an estimated total number of websites around 3.5 billion by 2030. The number of websites created will most likely be larger than our estimation as the globe’s population is progressively growing each year.
In 2030, there will also be 7.5 billion users on the Internet, which is 90% of the projected world population of 8.5 billion in 2030.
For comparison and to make your mind truly understand how large this number is, a million seconds is 12 days, and a billion seconds is 31 years. Also, if you were to count to a billion, it would take someone over 79 years to get to the end.
When we say the word ‘billion’, the number is truly larger than your entire imagination.
How Many Websites are on the Internet?
We already came to an estimated conclusion of how many websites are on the Internet in today's age.
Of those 1.7 billion websites, there are some even cooler statistics that we can confirm:
· The first website was launched on August 6th, 1991.
· In January 2020, there were over 4.4 billion users on the Internet.
· The average user spends almost 7 hours a day on the Internet.
· Asia makes up 49.0% of Internet users while North America only makes up 8.2%.
· Google processes around 7 billion queries per day in their search engine.
· 51.8% of all Internet traffic comes from bots while the rest comes from humans.
· In 2019, there were 359.8 million domain names registered across all top-level domains.
· Digital media is expected to generate 51% (over $240 billion) of all ad money spent globally in 2019. Imagine the dollar amount in the year 2020.
· There are over 600 million blogs and 1.7 million blog owners in the year 2020.
· Cars.com is the highest-selling domain name ever recorded, coming in at a whopping $872 million.
· Wix is the #1, best, easiest, fastest website builder in 2020.
· A one-second delay in page loading can cost you 7% of your e-commerce conversions.
· E-commerce sales are expected to exceed $3.5 billion by the end of 2020.
· Amazon is responsible for 49% of all online sales around the world, and about 5% of retail sales in the US.
· 48.2% of all online visited website traffic comes from mobile and tablet devices.
The number of people around the world that access web pages is increasing every day.
So, how many websites do you think will be on the Internet in 10, 20, 50 years?
Do you agree with us at NB Media Solutions, or do you have some other factors that alter our 2030 website existence estimation?
Challenge our predictions and let us know what you think!